As head of the Interactive Media Lab Dresden (Professorship Multimedia Technology) I am responsible for teaching courses, supervising students and conducting research projects.
I would describe my background and research interests as an intersection of computer graphics, human computer interaction and information visualization with a solid foundation in software engineering. I am interested in research topics in the area of smart and seamless user interface experiences by means of natural interaction techniques. This also includes novel ways of information visualization and 3D interaction.
While writing my PhD thesis (finished in 10/2004) at the Multimedia Technology Group,
TU Dresden I was the leading researcher of the CONTIGRA project on the component-based development of interactive 3D applications and Information Rich Virtual Environments.
During the last years I also worked on the classification, specification and standardization of 3D interaction elements for virtual environments in the whole mixed reality continuum.
During my PostDoc time I was shifting my focus towards the application of novel, partly three-dimensional information visualization
techniques to the field of personal information and media management. More information on the activities
in the field of intuitive Rich Multimedia User Interfaces can be found on the INPERIC project website.
During my time as a Juniorprofessor (assistant professor) at the Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, I was conducting research projects with my team of the User Interface & Software Engineering Group in the field of novel visualization and interaction techniques for future user interfaces with multiple devices and displays. Our focus is on tabletops and other interactive surfaces, tangible magic lenses, and the combination of small mobile displays with large displays. We are investigating natural ways of interaction using multitouch, digital pens, hand gestures, gaze control, tactile interaction, and other forms of sensor-enabled interaction. More details can be found in the project web pages.
In April 2011 I was tenured and appointed associate professor (W2) for User Interface & Software Engineering at the Faculty of Computer Science, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg.
In April 2012 I changed universities and was appointed full professor (W3) at the Faculty of Computer Science, Technische Universität Dresden.
I am now leading the Interactive Media Lab Dresden, i.e. the Professorship of Multimedia Technology.
| top |
| top |
| top |
- Member of ACM SIGCHI and SIGMM, IEEE Computer Society, Gesellschaft für Informatik (FB Mensch-Computer-Interaktion, FG VR/AR, FG Medieninformatik), Deutscher Hochschulverband
- Member of the executive committee of the GI SIG on VR/AR (since summer 2007)
- General Chair ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces ITS 2014
- Keynote Chair ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces ITS 2013
- Interactive Demos Chair Mensch & Computer 2013
- Publicity Chair International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, MobileHCI 2013
- Doctoral Symposium Chair ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces ITS 2012
- Interactive Demos Chair Mensch & Computer 2012
- Doctoral Symposium Chair ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces ITS 2011
- Demo Chair ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces ITS 2010
- Posters Chair Fourth IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2009
- Posters Chair Third IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2008
- Posters Chair 2nd IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2007
- Program Committee member (indicated with PC) and reviewer for:
ACM CHI (2013,
MobileHCI (2013, 2011 PC, 2010 PC,
ACM Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (2010 PC),
ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (2013 PC, 2012 PC, 2011, 2010),
Graphics Interface (2011),
Interact (2013, 2011),
Intelligent User Interfaces (2012),
Mensch & Computer (2013 PC, 2012 PC, 2011 PC, 2010 PC),
IEEE VR (2010 PC,
IEEE 3DUI (2013, 2010, 2009,
ACM VRST (2009 PC, 2008 PC,
JVRC (EGVE-ICAT-EuroVR) (2011, 2010 PC, 2009 PC), EGVE 2007 (PC),
ACM Web3D-Symposium (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 all PC),
IEEE InfoVis (2011,
IEEE PacificVis (2013),
IEEE VAST (2011),
ISVC 2008 (PC),
Eurographics 2010, Eurographics 2008,
IEEE VISSOFT 2011 (PC),
Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) (IEEE),
Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI) (ACM),
Computers & Graphics (Elsevier),
User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (UMUAI),
International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (Elsevier),
Journal of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Springer (Guest Editor),
ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS),
Information Visualization (SAGE Journal),
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction,
and numerous international workshops
- European coordinator of the Transatlantic Exchange Project LEIF in the area of interactive surfaces (4 Canadian and 4 European partners)
Co-organization of several international workshops:
- Blended Interaction: Envisioning Future Collaborative Interactive Spaces at ACM CHI 2013 in Paris (France), April 28, 2013
- Gaze Interaction in the Post-WIMP World at ACM CHI 2013 in Paris (France), April 27, 2013
- Designing Collaborative Interactive Spaces for e-Creativity, e-Science and e-Learning at AVI 2012 on Capri Island (Italy), May 25, 2012
- Gaze Interaction in the Post-WIMP World Special Interest Group Meeting at ACM CHI 2012 in Austin (USA), May, 2012
- Ubiquitous Projection Workshop and PhD Course at University of Oulu (Finland), Sept. 28-30, 2011
- MP²: Workshop on Mobile and Personal Projection at ACM CHI 2011
- Software Engineering and Architectures for Realtime Interactive Systems(SEARIS'11) at IEEE Virtual Reality 2011
- Ubiprojection 2010 - Workshop on Personal Projection at Pervasive 2010
- Software Engineering and Architectures for Realtime Interactive Systems (SEARIS'10) at IEEE Virtual Reality 2010
- Software Engineering and Architectures for Realtime Interactive Systems (SEARIS'09) at IEEE Virtual Reality 2009
- Software Engineering and Architectures for Realtime Interactive Systems (SEARIS'08) at IEEE Virtual Reality 2008
- Mixed Reality User Interfaces: Specification, Authoring, Adaptation (MRUI'07) at IEEE Virtual Reality 2007
Specification of Mixed Reality User Interfaces: Approaches, Languages, Standardization (MRUI'06) at IEEE Virtual Reality 2006
Adopting and Augmenting X3D for Efficient 3D Content Production: Concepts and Tools at the ACM Web3D-Symposium 2003
Structured Design of Virtual Environments and 3D-Components at the ACM Web3D-Symposium 2001
| top |
This is just a short list of research and industrial projects I participated in during the last years.
| top |
Selected Teaching Activities
- Teaching activities at Technische Universität Dresden (4/2012 until now):
- Lecture and Course on User Interface Engineering (2012/13)
- Lecture and Course on Web and Multimedia Engineering (2012/13)
- Lecture and Course on Advanced User Interfaces (2012)
- Lecture and Course on Media Format and Media Streams (2012)
- Lab project on User Interface Engineering (2012/13)
- Lab project on Interactive Multimedia Technologies (2012, 2013)
- Lab project on Media Computer Science (2012)
- Teaching activities at Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg (11/2007 until 03/2012):
- Lecture and Course on Three-dimensional & Advanced Interaction (2010)
- Lecture and Course on Information Visualization
- Lecture and Course on User Interface Engineering
- Lecture and Course on Software & Model Visualization
- Lecture and Course on Visual User Interfaces (2008)
- Seminar on Advanced UI Engineering - Model and Pattern based Approaches (2010)
- Seminar on Mixed Reality Interaction Techniques (2009)
- Seminar on User Interface Engineering (2008)
- Seminar on Mixed Reality Interaction (2007)
- Lab project on Novel Interaction Techniques (2011)
- Lab project on Novel Interaction Techniques: 3D Interaction, Medical Applications, Diagram Editing (2010/11)
- Lab project on Novel Interaction Techniques (2010)
- Lab project on Touch, Gaze, Tilt & Squeeze (2009/10)
- Lab project on Tabletops & Magic Lenses (2009)
- Lab project on T³: Tabletop, Touch & Tangible Interaction (2008/09)
- Lab project on Tabletop Interaction (2008)
- Teaching activities at Technische Universität Dresden (before 11/2007):
- Lecture on Advanced User Interface Techniques (2007)
- Lecture on Streaming Media (2004, 2005, 2006)
- Lecture on Media Formats and Media Streams (2007/08, 2006/07), together with Prof. Meißner
- Lecture Multimedia Technology and Systems (2002/03)
- Lecture Introduction to Multimedia Technology (2002/03)
- Several single lectures on various topics (Web Engineering, XML, Media Informatics, Multimedia Technologies etc.)
- Seminar on User Interfaces for Personal Information Management (2006)
- Seminar on User Interfaces for Mobile Devices (2005/06)
- Seminar on Visualization and Interaction Techniques for the Office of the Future (2005)
- Seminar on MPEG-4 (2003/04)
- Other research seminars on XML and component technologies
- Supervision of Students:
- See the list of current Diploma and Masters students and Bachelor students I am supervising at the University of Magdeburg.
- See the list of students I have supervised within the CONTIGRA and
INPERIC projects at TU Dresden.
- Download a list of teaching activities and supervised students (in German, as of November 2009)
| top |
I gave a number of talks on various occasions at the Universities in Magdeburg and Dresden and at numerous international conferences. Besides, I was invited to the following scientific talks at other institutions:
- 02/2013 Talk at the University of Copenhagen: "Interacting with Multiple Displays Using Tangible Windows, Gestures and Gaze"
- 01/2013 Talk at the Bauhaus Universität Weimar: "Gaze Support and Tangible Windows – Novel Views on Human Computer Interaction"
- 07/2012 Inaugural Lecture at the Technische Universität Dresden: "Magic Meets Efficiency: Perspectives on Interacting with Ubiquitous Media and Information"
- 09/2011 Keynote at the M&C 2011 Workshop "Tangible Interaction in Mixed Realities": "Tangible Magic Lenses – Graspable Displays for Exploring Information"
- 08/2011 Talk at the Dresden University of Technology, Department of Computer Science: "Natural Interaction with Ubiquitous Media and Information"
- 06/2011 Talk at the University of Konstanz, HCI Group: "Natural Interaction with Rich Information Spaces"
- 05/2011 Talk at the Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (IPK), Gatersleben: "Natural Ways of Interacting with Information Spaces"
- 02/2011 Talk at the Fraunhofer IAO Stuttgart: "Understanding and Experiencing Data - Trends in Visualizing Informationen"
- 02/2011 Talk at the ACM SIGCHI Paris Chapter & INRIA Orsay: "Natural Ways of Interacting with Information Spaces"
- 01/2011 Talk at the Leibniz Universität Hannover, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science: "Gestures, Glances, Touches: Seamless and Natural Human-Computer Interaction"
- 07/2010 Talk at the Dresden University of Technology, MMT Group
: "Multimedia Technology Research: Challenges and Vision"
- 06/2010 Talk at the TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Computer Science Institute
: "Tangible Magic Lenses, Multitouch and Pens: Natural Interaction with large Displays"
- 03/2010 Talk at the Fraunhofer IESE - Institute for Experimental Software Engineering, Kaiserslautern
: "Natural Interaction in Complex Information Spaces Using Tangible Magic Lenses"
- 02/2010 Talk at the Computer Science Institute of the University of Würzburg: "Seamless Interaction in Ubiquitous Media Spaces of the Future"
- 12/2009 Talk at the Fraunhofer MEVIS - Institute for Medical Image Computing, Bremen
: "Alternative Ways of Interacting with Computers - New Perspectives for Medical User Interfaces"
- 11/2009 Talk at the Interactions Lab - University of Calgary, Canada
: "HCI Research of the User Interface & Software Engineering Group"
- 06/2008 Talk at the Distinguished Lecture Series of the Applied Telematics/e-Busines Group (University of Leipzig): "Learning from HCI: Towards Seamless User Interfaces for Software Engineering Activities"
- 06/2008 Talk at the Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT: "Visual User Interfaces for Mixed Device Environments"
- 02/2008 Inaugural Lecture at Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg "User Interface Engineering for ubiquitous Computing Environments"
- 12/2007 Talk at the Media Interaction Lab Hagenberg (Austria): "3D Interaction Techniques and Zoomable User Interfaces for Mixed Reality Applications"
- 06/2007 Talk at the Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, Faculty of Computer Science: "3DUI, ZUI & Co. – Towards Flexible User Interface Services"
- 05/2007 Talk at the Deutsche Telekom Laboratories Berlin during the Research Colloquium Usability: "3DUI, ZUI and Beyond – Novel Personal User Interfaces"
- 01/2007 Invited lecture at Bauhaus Universität Weimar, Virtual Reality Systems Group "Towards Standardization of 3D User Interface Elements"
- 04/2006 Talk at the GIBU annual meeting in Dagstuhl "Three-dimensional user interfaces: challenges and applications"
- 05/2005 Talk at the GI dissertation award colloquium in Mainz "A declarative component architecture and interaction elements of 3D multimedia applications"
- 01/2005 Talk at University of Munich, Media Informatics "CONTIGRA - A declarative component architecture for developing interactive 3D applications"
- 01/2004 Talk at University of Tübingen, WSI/Graphical Interactive Systems Group "A declarative component architecture and interaction elements of 3D multimedia applications"
| top |
| top |
dachselt (at) acm.org
+49 (0)351 463 38507
+49 (0)351 463 32827
Address for visitors:
Nöthnitzer Str. 46, Room 2048, Dresden, Germany.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Raimund Dachselt, Faculty of Computer Science, Professorship Multimedia Technology, TU Dresden, D-01062 Dresden, Germany.
Web (this page):