Call for Papers
Submission Deadline extended to July 7th (see important dates)
3rd International Workshop on Semantic Digital Archives(SDA)
in conjunction with the 17th Int. Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL)
26thSeptember 2013 in Valetta, Malta
The Semantic Digital Archives (SDA) workshop series fosters innovative discussion of knowledge representation and knowledge management solutions specifically designed for improving Archival Information Systems (AIS) and Archival Information Infrastructures (AII). Novel applications of semantic Web technologies and Linked Data offer possibilities to advance approaches to digital curation and preservation.
During the last quarter of a century the explosion in digital content creation and use has transformed the relationship individuals and society have with information. Therefore, sustainable long-term curation approaches to our digital cultural heritage are essential. Handling digital content in secure ways poses many socio-cultural and technological challenges. Changing technologies and shifting user communities as well as the increasing complexity of digital content being enriched with software and multimedia attachments are a couple of examples. Addressing the obstacles to curation and preservation is the central theme of the workshop. This full day workshop is an exciting opportunity for collaboration and cross-fertilization between the Digital Libraries, the Digital Preservation and the Semantic Web community. A closer dialogue between the technical oriented communities and researchers from the (digital) humanities and social sciences as well as cultural heritage institutions is encouraged.
Topics of Interest
We intend to have an open discussion on topics related to the general subject of Semantic Digital Archives.
Hence, we welcome contributions that focus on, but are not limited to:
- Archival information systems (AIS)
- AIS Architectures
- Archival information infrastructure frameworks (AII)
- Ontologies & linked data for AIS, AII and digital libraries
- Logical theories for digital archives & digital preservation
- Knowledge evolution
- (Semantic) provenance models
- Contextualization of archives
- Semantic long-term storage & hardware organization for AIS & AII
- Semantic extensions of emulation/virtualization methodologies tailored for AIS/AII
- Semantic multimedia AIS, AII & multimedia libraries
- Implementations & evaluations of (semantic) AIS, AII & semantic digital libraries
- Preservation of scientific and research data
- Preservation of work flow processes
- Semantic search & semantic information retrieval in digital archives and digital libraries
- Implementations and evaluations of semantic digital archives
- User studies focusing on end-user needs and information seeking behavior of end-users (document triage)
- Web Archives
- (Semantic) Preservation Processes and Protocols
- Semantic (Web) services implementing AII
- Information integration/semantic ingest (e.g. from digital libraries)
- Trust for ingest & data security/integrity check for long-term storage of archival records
- Semantic extensions of emulation/virtualization methodologies for digital archives
- Migration strategies based on Semantic Web technologies Submission Details
Authors are invited to submit original, unpublished research papers related to the aforementioned topics. We invite:
- regular papers (8 to 12 pages)
- short papers (2 to 6 pages)
All submissions are required to be in PDF format. Long and short paper submissions must be formatted according to Springer's LNCS format (www.springer.com/computer/lncs).
Please submit your manuscript using the EasyChair online submission system:
All submissions will be reviewed by three members of the Program Committee. All papers accepted at the Semantic Digital Archives Workshop must be presented during the Workshop by a SDA Workshop registered participant. Papers presented at the Workshop will be published in the Workshop proceedings, which will be available as a separate publication after the Workshop.
New: Selected contributions will be invited to submit a revised and extended version of their contribution to an IDJL Special Issue on Semantic Digital Archives.
Organizing Committee & Program Committee
The Organizing Committee members and the Program Committee members are mentioned here.